Request for Accommodations

In compliance with section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, as Amended, and with the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 (ADA), Kalamazoo College recognizes that qualified students who have diagnosed or identified learning, physical, or emotional disabilities are entitled to the same benefits from the educational programs of the college as non-disabled students. Kalamazoo College is committed to providing reasonable accommodations to qualified students with disabilities unless that accommodation imposes undue hardship or burden.

The request for accommodations process is grounded in working with students as individuals to meet their specific needs. All requests are reviewed on a case by case basis and accommodations are determined through an interactive process. Documentation of a specific disability does not translate directly into specific accommodations. Accommodations are connected to the particular functional limitations associated with the disability and these can vary greatly among individuals with the same condition. Documentation must be current and relevant, but may not need to be recent. The process to request accommodations is as follows:

  1. Complete the form below. The student needs to complete the form, provide documentation, and participate in the process themselves. Parents may not initiate or complete the accommodations on behalf of a student.
  2. Attach any relevant documentation following the guidelines below. The more information we have, the better we can identify supports that may be helpful. All documentation should include though not necessarily be limited to the following:
    • The credentials of the evaluator(s). Documentation should be provided by a an appropriate licensed or otherwise properly credentialed professional who has relevant experience and no personal relationship with you.
    • A diagnostic statement identifying your disability and the diagnostic methodology used. Documentation should include a description of the diagnostic criteria, evaluation methods, procedures, tests, and dates of administration, along with a clinical narrative, observation, and specific results.
    • A description of the current functional limitations. Documentation should include how the disabling condition(s) currently impact your functioning. Documentation should provide a clear sense of the severity, frequency and pervasiveness of the condition
    • A description of the expected progression or stability of the disability. Descriptions of the chronic, cyclical or episodic nature of the disability and known or suspected environmental triggers to the episode provide opportunities to anticipate and plan for continuing as well as varying functional impacts. Recommended timelines for re-evaluations can also be helpful.
    • Suggested accommodations. While accommodations are determined through the interactive process, it may be helpful to have suggestions from the evaluator(s) to use as a starting point. This is not a requirement though, to engage in the process.
    • If the file containing documentation is large and you are unable to upload it to the form, please email it directly to
  3. Once the form and documentation are received, you will be contacted via email by Dana Jansma, Senior Associate Dean of Students, to schedule a meeting to discuss your request in greater detail.

Kalamazoo College has the right to deny a request for accommodations, academic adjustments, and/or auxiliary aids and services if the documentation demonstrates that the request is not warranted, or if the individual fails to provide appropriate documentation.  Please contact Dana Jansma, Senior Associate Dean of Students (269-337-7209 if you are unable to access and complete the Request for Accommodations form or have any questions.

Request for Accommodations Form