Grievance Procedure

Kalamazoo College

Disability Services Grievance Process

In the spirit of our strong commitment to diversity and inclusion, here at Kalamazoo College we are committed to making education accessible to all students. We strive to increase access and opportunities for students with disabilities, and promote self-advocacy and growth. Therefore, the College maintains the following grievance process for students who believe their accommodation request to the Office of Disability Services warrants further review. This grievance process is in pursuit of the College’s requirement under the Americans with Disabilities Act (“ADA”) and Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act to provide reasonable accommodations and an interactive process in determination thereof.

Kalamazoo College is committed to providing opportunities for personal growth and civil discourse, and this process is viewed in those terms. If a student wishes to request an administrative review of their accommodation determination, the student must make the request themselves and are expected to be the main participant. Therefore, while parents/guardians may participate in the iterative process with an appropriate signed release, students must be present for all conversations and discussions. Parental participation in the grievance process will not serve as a replacement to the student’s participation.

If a student disagrees with a disability accommodation determination, the following grievance process must be followed in order:

  1. Students must schedule and attend an appointment to speak to the Senior Associate Dean of Students (Disability Services Coordinator). The Senior Associate Dean of Students will provide the student with a written summary of the conversation and the outcome, a copy of which will be placed in the student’s file. If the Senior Associate Dean of Students upholds the initial determination on the student’s accommodation request, the student may continue to the next step.
  2. If after meeting with the Senior Associate Dean of Students, the student wishes to pursue further redress, the student may request a review by committee in writing to the Vice President for Student Development and Dean of Students. The written request must contain a full description of the issue, efforts taken to resolve the problem, and the specific solution sought. The Vice President will convene an ad hoc committee to review the request for accommodation along with all pertinent documentation. The decision of the committee will serve as the College’s final determination and will be communicated to the student in writing.

If at any time in the process, the student submits new information (e.g. documentation) or requests, the student must restart the grievance process with step one, meeting with the Senior Associate Dean of Students.